Richard Ware was a master builder elected to the Carpenters' Company in 1810. He also opened a shop as an ironmonger. He resided at 67 Locust street. Unfortunately for Ware, his business ventures took a turn for the worse and he ended up in debtors' prison. In 1819, he left Philadelphia and went south to Charlottesville Virginia. Here, he quickly became involved in the construction of Jefferson's University of Virginia. Ware supervised the construction of three of the ten Pavilions, II, IV and VI, flanking the Rotunda and forming the Lawn, the University's oldest and most famous area. He was also responsible for thirteen student rooms and served as the head carpenter for Hotel F. Following his success, Ware once again moved, this time apparently to New York in 1823, and eventually found his way back to Philadelphia by 1830.