Rubicam, Charles A.
Charles A. Rubicam was a master builder elected to the Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia in 1844. He served on the Carpenters' Company Library committee in 1853 and on the Managing Committee from 1858-1860. He was elected a Company Warden serving from 1855-77. Rubicam built the 5 story Rennaisance Revival and Italianate Caleb Cope and Company store designed by architect Joseph Hoxie. Rubicam also built the St. Charles Hotel in 1851. In the 1840 City Directory, he was is listed as living at 165 Wood street near 11th street. Charles Rubicam was marked deceased in 1873.
Library Committee, 1853
Managing Committee, 1858-60
165 Wood near 11th (CD) (1840)
Cope, Caleb & Co. store, 429 Market St. (demolished)
St. Charles Hotel, 60-66 N. Third St.
City Directory - 1840 - Charles, carpenter, 165 Wood near 11th. Also listing for George, carpenter, Carlton above 12th. 1845 - Charles A., carpenter, 165 Wood near 11th. Also for George, carpenter, 30 Carlton. 1850, 54 - Charles A., carpenter, SW 10th & Callowhill; house Chestnut near William (West Philadelphia) Bus. Dir. (APS) 1860, pg. 1024: C.A. Rubicam, 2300 Chestnut, carpenter-builder ---------------------- "Philadelphia Preserved" (page 68) Cope, Caleb & Co. store, 429 Market St., built 1853 by Charles Rubicam; demolished 1970. Page 95. St. Charles Hotel, 60-66 N. 3rd St., built 1851, Charles A. Rubicam, builder. Has cast iron front and interior iron columns.
Grantor Records Notes
Also listings for Caleb.